The Rental Shop
My coworkers are people who never found a career, people who live the seasonal life. Winter is at the resort, summer is at a state park, then back to winter at the resort, etc. Josh, the loud one who is second in charge, is in his early 30's, plays drums in a band, and has a really funny high pitched laugh. Ric, the really relaxed hippie, is 24 and plays guitar for whoever will let him. He drinks herbal tea every day, does yoga at the gym, wears strange clothes, listens to jam bands and talks really slow. He doesn't like to work, and takes long ski breaks while at work. Alana, the hippie turned normal cool chick, is 28 with a destructive relationship, a dog who is her world, and does her fair share of slacking unless there is work to be done. Greg, the good looking bald should be mature by now guy, is 32 with a recently ended relationship and is trying to get with me. I just don't think I can get over the bald thing but he can be quite charming and kind of sexy. He wears a baseball hat all the time. Mike, the long haired hippie who does little work, is in his early 30's and likes crossword puzzles, weird music and not working.
I probably wouldn't consider these guys friends since we don't hang out outside of work, but I am definitely clued into their lives and them to mine. I would hang out with them outside of work if the opportunity arose but it hasn't, I don't think I really came here to make friends. My boss, the almost too relaxed supervisor, is in his early 30's and is sort of spaced out a lot of the time, very friendly guy and always willing to help a guy out. He's married with a little girl but doesn't act like a family man, still tells dirty jokes and points out hot chicks, drinks scotch and hangs out with his employees. His easygoing attitude almost bites him in the ass a lot of the time by letting his employees slack off. Then when work needs to be done, nobody is there or wants to work.
We are known as rental rats. We stand around a lot, sit in the back watching tv a lot, and do a whole lot of nothing a lot of the time. But then there are the busy days when we have to haul ass and work hard and everyone knows what they're doing and gets it done as effeciently as possible. The place stinks, it smells like feet and body odor because of the damn hippies who shower once a week and do laundry once a month. It's wet and moldy from the melted snow and sweat from the boots. I believe I've contracted a rash from leaning on the countertop.
I'm kind of tired being the hardest working person there. I think people work harder down south, they take pride in their work, whatever it may be. Here I don't feel like I've done anything constructive all day until after my workout but back home after work I have worked hard, put up with crap, and exhausted myself after 8 hours. There are exceptions of course, but for the most part, thats the general jist of the situation.
I probably wouldn't consider these guys friends since we don't hang out outside of work, but I am definitely clued into their lives and them to mine. I would hang out with them outside of work if the opportunity arose but it hasn't, I don't think I really came here to make friends. My boss, the almost too relaxed supervisor, is in his early 30's and is sort of spaced out a lot of the time, very friendly guy and always willing to help a guy out. He's married with a little girl but doesn't act like a family man, still tells dirty jokes and points out hot chicks, drinks scotch and hangs out with his employees. His easygoing attitude almost bites him in the ass a lot of the time by letting his employees slack off. Then when work needs to be done, nobody is there or wants to work.
We are known as rental rats. We stand around a lot, sit in the back watching tv a lot, and do a whole lot of nothing a lot of the time. But then there are the busy days when we have to haul ass and work hard and everyone knows what they're doing and gets it done as effeciently as possible. The place stinks, it smells like feet and body odor because of the damn hippies who shower once a week and do laundry once a month. It's wet and moldy from the melted snow and sweat from the boots. I believe I've contracted a rash from leaning on the countertop.
I'm kind of tired being the hardest working person there. I think people work harder down south, they take pride in their work, whatever it may be. Here I don't feel like I've done anything constructive all day until after my workout but back home after work I have worked hard, put up with crap, and exhausted myself after 8 hours. There are exceptions of course, but for the most part, thats the general jist of the situation.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home